History of dating in 1818
On the north it stretches westward along the shore for nearly 50 miles (80 km) to include Zelenogorsk.
This northern extension is an area of dormitory towns, resorts, sanatoriums, and children’s camps set among extensive coniferous forests and fringed by fine beaches and sand dunes. Petersburg residents also have summer cottages, or dachas, in this area.
The very low and originally marshy site has subjected the city to recurrent flooding, especially in the autumn, when strong cyclonic winds drive gulf waters upstream, and also at the time of the spring thaw.
Exceptionally severe inundations occurred in 1777, 1824, and 1924; the last two were the highest on record and flooded most of the city.
The striking appearance of the palace is highlighted by white columns against a green background, with golden stucco moldings; 176 sculptured figures line the roof.
The whole complex, now called the Hermitage, or State Hermitage Museum, is a treasury of mostly western European painting and sculpture, an art collection of worldwide significance that originated in 1764 as the private holdings of Tsarina Catherine II.
For two centuries (1712–1918) it was the capital of the Russian Empire.
The mitigating effect of the Atlantic Ocean provides St.
Architecturally, it ranks as one of the most splendid and congenial cities of Europe. Petersburg is a mecca of cultural, historical, and architectural landmarks. The first is the city’s harmonious mix of western European and Russian architecture. Petersburg’s lack of an unequivocal city centre, which, in other Russian cities of medieval origin, is defined by a kremlin and its surrounding area.
Founded by Tsar Peter I (the Great) as Russia’s “window on Europe,” it bears the unofficial status of Russia’s cultural capital and most European city, a distinction that it strives to retain in its perennial competition with Moscow. The third characteristic feature of the city is its many waterways.
Near the Senate and Synod buildings to the south rises the Neoclassical front of the Horse Guards Riding School, or Manezh (1804–07); beyond, dominating the south side of St. An outstanding monument of late Neoclassical Russian architecture built by St. The Anichkov Bridge across the latter is graced by four sculptured horses.
Isaac’s is one of the largest domed buildings in the world; its golden cupola, gilded with about 220 pounds (100 kg) of pure gold, soars to 331 feet (101 metres) in height and is visible all over St. The street has a special beauty: the architecture is majestic, the buildings are graceful and finely proportioned, and the construction is complex.